LOSING SELF-RESPECT

‘You may search for a new job.’ Those were the last words of my boss. I questioned him, ‘What have I done, Sir?’ ‘I know you were behind the entire drama, now you either say sorry to Sana in front of everyone or leave the job!’ His words hit me hard. As my eyes were filled with tears a feeling of despair passed me but I composed myself. I left his office with a chaotic state of mind. I was a very firm man but at that moment I was indecisive on whether to quit the job or lose self-respect. I still couldn’t overcome the battle between my self-esteem and job. This war shattered me and finally when I had decided to leave the job, my responsibilities came in my way and they didn’t allow me to leave. I lay down on my bed to rest my mind but the situation didn’t allow me to even close my eyes. The clock ticked 7 o’ clock and I came out of my bedroom feeling lousy and sad. I dragged my feet unwillingly to my car and went to the office. It was heavily raining on the way and dark clouds had emerged, covering the sky, this scene was quite similar to my own circumstances. I passed through the gate and headed towards Sana’s cabin. ‘I am sorry,’ was what I could blurt out. A nasty smile came across her face expressing her false claims victory over my innocent truth. Two days back, an important presentation was missing from my desk and I was tensed. I knew Sana took it and by doing this she wanted to disgrace me and take my position. I went straight to her cabin and expecting that she had it. She challenged me to prove it. I took this matter to my boss however she had already manipulated him by using her false claims and had gained sympathy by shedding tears. When I tried to express my point of view, I understood I had no place there and the fact that I was guilty in the eyes of my boss, as I had no evidence to prove Sana guilty. I felt disappointed and betrayed by my boss and colleagues who supported a new comer over my ten years of loyalty. Sana was not satisfied even when I was ridiculed about the presentation. She kept on instigating my boss to the point that I had to either apologize or leave the job. Sana was determined to break me and on that very day my self-respect was shattered when I said sorry to her as if it was her victory of lies over my truth. This was the beginning of the end, as I couldn’t face my colleagues, even when I was right. 

Faizan Bin Zeeshan XI O

Comments