HORRIBLE NIGHT


Sitting under the bright night sky, which glittered with the distant stars, I pondered about what would happen next. I never imagined this day would ever come. From below me came the muffled roars of my parents. I stood up to escape the noise but I was engulfed in it. Where ever I looked at the horizon, the deadly shouts pierced my ears from all sides. I wanted them to end this, end this the way I wanted, though I knew fully that the end would come today but not the way I wanted it to. Soon it ended. No more shouting, no more fighting... someone was leaving the house. The front door below swung open, followed by hurried footsteps. I inched onto the edge of the roof, my eyes dreaded to see who was down there. To my relief the street light by our house was not working. Unable to see the person, I carefully stepped back trying not fall to my death yet. I slowly came down the stairs, trying not to trigger the creaking. Staying on my toes, one by one I checked each room to find the person who had stayed behind. Before I could open the last door, someone else turned the doorknob from the other side. My heart skipped a beat! A monstrous figure appeared from the dimly lit room. It was my father. He looked as a raging lion coming out of his den. “W- Where is Ammi?” I asked, stepping back at the same time. “She’s gone” was all he said in a grave voice before returning to his dark room, leaving the door open. The beautiful memories of my past flashed before my eyes. My thoughts drifted to my future. Now standing at the same spot, a sudden thought of my little sister hit me. She was at her friend’s house tonight for a stay-over. I had to break down this news to her, but it was important to meet her face to face because what I wanted to tell her was too important to put in a text message. She loved mother dearly. For now, I could only think about our future. Outside the clouds engulfed the stars. This was the beginning of the end. 

AZEEM SARWAR XI O B

Comments