AN OLD AGE HOME



Adopted from an orphanage at the age of nine

I lived a happy life with parents of mine

Loving and caring; they were reason of my pride

But during my youth, suddenly they died

I felt lonely, but how to fill this void

Thought of perfect plan, oh I was overjoyed

For my 12th birthday, my parents took me to a place

Filled with people whom nobody would embrace

Many unwanted parents at an old age home

I was adopted, why not adopt parents of my own?

We were happy together and life was good

I wanted to have children but never could

Not having children was good, I was told

Because no one would disown me when I was old

When I was seventy-two, I came back here

Yes, it’s an old age home, my dear

I wanted to be the reason of old people’s smiles

Each having a sad story that went on for miles

They were gloomy and sad; but they should be neither

Life is an adventure, I wanted them to be a believer

I wanted to make a difference, so I made my own rules

Be optimistic; they don’t teach this at school

The only thing I want to convey is a piece of advice

Be the change you want to see; that would suffice

Faryaal Ibrahim VII Orange

Comments